Party season goodness
These treats are loaded with tasty goodness and deliver an intense nutrient punch. They contain slow-burning and fibre-rich carbs, protein and healthy fats – plus a host of vitamins, minerals and phyto-nutrients to feed your gut and brain. They taste great!
Seasonal pumpkin seeds are a handy source of omega 3 fats, known for improving mood and helping brain chemicals to do their job. Like most seeds, they also provide zinc, a natural anti-depressant.
Oats are very soothing for your digestive system, helping create a healthy glowing skin on the outside. As a sweet snack goes, these compare very well with most in terms of sugar content (5g per portion) and protein (again, 5g per portion).
Cinnamon will help you side-step blood sugar dips as it makes your cells more sensitive to insulin, keeping you energised and feeling good throughout the festive season.
Cacao Festive Treats
Makes approx. 20
100g pumpkin seeds
50g whole or ground almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp cocoa or raw cacao powder
2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch sea salt
2 tbsp water
Desiccated coconut or cacao powder to coat (optional)
- Blitz all the dry ingredients in a blender/food processor until roughly chopped.
- Add dates and other ingredients, excluding the water, blitz again.
- Add water and mix together.
- Roll the mixture by hand into balls.
- Roll in the optional coatings and refrigerate, they should last 7 days in an airtight container or can be frozen.
Spiced Mulled Mocktail
200ml pomegranate juice
100ml apple juice
1 orange, sliced and roughly squeezed
Half a lemon, sliced and roughly squeezed
8 clove buds
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick, broken
200ml sparkling water (optional if serving chilled)
- Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan and gently heat for 3–4 minutes, stirring continuously. Leave to cool a little, strain and serve warm.
- Alternatively, leave to cool and top up with sparkling water.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and orange slice.